Houston Car Accident Lawyer
Car wrecks are among the top three causes of injury or death in one’s lifetime. They’re also the number one cause of work-related deaths. Each year over four million car crashes occur in the U.S. and kill thousands of people. Whether small or catastrophic, they can be traumatic. After a car accident, you are confused and scared, wondering who is going to pay for vehicle repairs, medical bills, and how you can continue working. You may need an experience car accident lawyer to help.
All too often, accidents occur when the driver of the other vehicle is not taking the safety of others on the road seriously. Some examples of irresponsible driving include:
- Drunk Driving
- Failing to Yield
- Ignoring Road Signs
- Aggressive Driving
- Traveling at Excessive Speed
- Texting while Driving
- Unlawful Turns or Reckless Driving
Talking on the phone, fidgeting with the GPS, and changing the music in your car are very distracting and dangerous while driving. 80% of all collisions have some form of driver inattention as contributing factors. Driver distraction causes over 4,000,000 crashes per year in North America. Additionally, most fatal crashes occur on rural roads.
Texting and Cell Phone Use Can Cause a Car Accident
Cell phone use causes one accident every 24 seconds. Thousands die each year because drivers use their cell phones while driving. According to distraction.gov, when you read or send a text message, your eyes leave the road for about 4.6 seconds. A car driving 55 miles per hour travels the length of a football field. Texting while driving is essentially driving this distance with your eyes closed.
Talking on a cell phone makes a driver four times more likely to have a crash or near-crash event. Texting makes drivers 23 times more likely to have a crash. Texting while driving slows driver reaction time even more than alcohol.
Watch on YouTube: Car Accident Statistics
Houston Car Wrecks can Involve More than Just Cars
Although we often think of car crashes and think of two cars hitting one another, car crashes can involve much more than that. All too often, cars hit more than just other cars or trucks. Car crashes can involve:
- Motorcycle crashes
- Bicycle accidents
- People hit by cars
- Workplace vehicle accidents
- Bus crashes
- Passengers injured in car accidents
There are many ways that people can get hurt in car crashes, and when they do, the injuries can be severe.
Car Crashes Can Cause More than Just Inconvenience
Everyone knows the hassle of dealing with the damage to your vehicle. There is the hassle of getting a rental car, repair estimates, and dealing with insurance adjusters. Also, there is the damage that a car accident can cause to the driver, passenger, and even bystanders. The injuries that can occur as a result of a car crash include:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal bleeding and brain bleeds
- Mental anguish, pain, and suffering
These injuries can require ongoing medical care, prescriptions, and physical therapy. Also, the injured party will lose wages during time out of work.
What do I do After an Accident?
Many people wonder what is next after a car accident. Many of us don’t know how to handle the situation. You can learn more about what to do after an accident in these helpful links:
- What to do after a crash
- Getting a rental car after an accident
- Giving a recorded statement to the insurance company
- Dealing with uninsured drivers
- Who pays my medical bills after a car wreck
- What are car accident damages?
The most important thing to do after a car wreck is to take care of yourself. If the insurance company for the driver who hit you is giving you the run around, an attorney can help.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer to Help with my Car Accident?
Not all car accidents need a personal injury lawyer. Typically, if you aren’t hurt and are only dealing with damage to your car, you don’t need a lawyer. If, however, you have a big accident, are seriously hurt, or you are hurt and need help with treatment, it is probably worth talking to a personal injury lawyer.
Personal injury lawyers are familiar with the laws applicable to care accidents and the rules of trial. They can help you navigate the complex legal system. If you are wondering whether you need a lawyer to help you with your car accident case, here are a few guides to consider:
- Do you and the other driver or their insurance company disagree on who is at fault?
- Did someone die or suffer life-threatening injuries?
- You don’t think your insurance company should have to pay when it was the other driver’s fault.
- Do you have enough insurance coverage to make you whole?
- Do you need help dealing with the other driver’s insurance carrier?
What to think about when Hiring a Houston Personal Injury Lawyer
Before you hire a personal injury lawyer, here are a few things to consider:
- Hire a personal injury lawyer.Personal injury law is its own animal. Although the lawyer who helped write your will may be very competent, they may not be able to handle your car accident case. Hire a lawyer with the experience necessary to get you the most money possible.
- Does the lawyer have good review?Good lawyers often have happy clients. Can the lawyer you are looking to hire provide references? If not, you may not want them working for you.
- Hire a lawyer who can take your case to trial.Although most cases don’t make it to trial, your lawyer should work your case is if it is going to trial.
- Open communication.Many of the topics dealing with damages are sensitive. You need a lawyer that you feel comfortable with, so, you will communicate these sensitive issues.
Hire a Houston Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured by a driver who was texting and driving, or by a neglectful driver, Chelsie King Garza can help. Contact an experienced car wreck attorney to help you receive the care you need and the recovery you deserve.