Representing those Harmed by Falls in Nursing Homes
Families trust the care of their elderly family members to nursing homes. After making the agonizing decision to place their loved ones in nursing homes, families trust that the homes will provide the proper care. Often, nursing homes do not do enough to prevent falls in their elderly patients. Falls in nursing homes can cause considerable harm, including broken bones and spinal fractures. If your loved one has suffered a nursing home fall due to neglectful care, Chelsie King Garza can help.
Nursing Homes Must Watch Patients and Act to Prevent Falls
Most falls in nursing homes are preventable. Nursing homes are expected to watch patients and provide compassionate care. Failing to do so can result in patient falls. Causes of patient falls include:
- Inadequate staffing – nursing homes may not hire enough staff to monitor and care for patients
- Failure to properly train staff – falls are common in nursing homes, and are extremely dangerous to elderly patients. Staff must be trained on how to care for their patients.
- Patients may be left alone for too long, and injure themselves trying to get back to their rooms or beds.
- Failure to remove trip hazards from patient rooms, walkways, and common areas.
These acts of negligence on the part of nursing homes and nursing home employees can cause significant harm.
Nursing Home Falls Can Cause Serious Injuries or Death
Many elderly patients need assistance with everyday life. They are often receiving rehabilitative care at nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Falls are not on the agenda for these patients. Falls can cause serious harm including:
- Broken bones
- Broken hips
- Spinal fractures
- Head trauma, including brain bleeds
- Brain injuries
- Mental anguish, pain, and suffering
By holding the nursing home accountable for their negligent behavior, you may help prevent other patients from harm.
Hire a Houston Attorney Handling Falls in Nursing Homes
If you or a loved one has suffered injury after a fall in a nursing home, contact Chelsie King Garza to schedule your free initial consultation. Ms. Garza will provide compassionate representation for you and your loved ones.