Houston Workplace Vehicle Accidents Attorney
Houston is an industrial town. Many Houstonians make a living working with large trucks and machinery. If they work at the Port of Houston, on construction projects, and in oil and gas, they work with large vehicles. All of these industries rely on tractors, trains, 18-wheelers, and other large equipment to operate. Although these massive pieces of equipment make these jobs possible, they also come with a risk of severe injury and death. Workplace vehicle accidents can cause significant injuries to workers.
In 2013, transportation accidents accounted for almost 40% of fatal injuries across all work industries, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Steps must be taken by employers to minimize the risk to those who work on or near these pieces of heavy equipment.
Causes of Workplace Vehicle Accidents
There can be many causes of work-related vehicle accidents. Many include driver error or faulty equipment. Whatever the cause may be, employers must provide safe working conditions for their employees. Causes of workplace vehicle accidents can include:
- Driver error or inattention – drivers with a history of unsafe work practices cannot be allowed to operate heavy equipment
- Inadequate training – employers must provide training to drivers and operators before they are allowed to operate heavy equipment
- Faulty equipment – employers and equipment owners may not properly maintain their heavy equipment. They must give an operator the tools they need to prevent accidents.
- Reverse or crush accidents – operators may not have the direction that they need or a spotter when reversing these pieces of heavy machinery. Without a full view, or someone to help guide them while reversing, workers may be run over or crushed.
Due to the weight and size of these vehicles, the potential for injury to neighboring workers is great. Caution must be used. Employers must make every effort to provide a safe workplace.
Vehicles Used in the Workplace can Include:
- Fleet vehicles
- 18 wheelers
- Forklifts and cranes
- Dump trucks
- Rail cars and trains
- Diesel trucks or flatbed trucks
- Cement trucks
When safety is ignored worker can get hurt. When workers aren’t properly trained, people can be killed. When dangerous vehicles are allowed to remain in operation, workers can be harmed.
Hire a Houston Workplace Vehicle Accident Attorney
Seeking compensation after a work related wreck or workplace vehicle accident can be hard. It is often difficult to determine who is at fault. Chelsie King Garza is on your side, and will fully investigate the incident to find all culpable parties. Contact Ms. Garza today to discuss your situation. She will help you map out the best strategy to get you back on your feet.