What should I do if I see an error made in the hospital?Patients should have advocates while they are in the hospital. Whether they have an advocate from the hospital or a family member or friend, it is better for the patient to have someone looking out for them. If the patient or their advocate feel like a mistake or error has been committed, they should:
- Tell your nurse right away.
- Don’t wait to report the incident. Call a nurse to your bed if need be.
- Be respectful, yet firm when discussing the mistake.
- Make sure to tell them that you want a report back and follow up requesting results.
- If you are discharged before you hear back, contact the hospital’s patient advocate office, risk management office, or patient liaison. There should be a designated office at the hospital to work with patients to resolve issues.